Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Disappearing Nine Patch

My Disappearing Nine Patch quilt top is done - maybe. I haven't decided if I'm going to add a border or not.
I think I like it just the way it is though (still okay size for a throw at 65", yet I prefer a throw to be at least 70"). I spent most of the day yesterday fooling around with the blocks. At first I just laid them out any which way and it looked way too busy. Then I tried making sure the fabrics all matched within the blocks, still wasn't right. Tried matching all the greens that lined up together and it still wasn't right.  I even tried the other layouts, still not good. Finally I just focused on the greens themselves, and arranged them from lightest and brightest in the center, radiating out towards the darkest. That was the ticket! If I would have known what direction I was going with it when I started, I would have made sure that the whites and blacks I used on the outside would have been the darkest, but I was determined not to have to make more blocks (stubborn German/Polish background).

Puppies have been neglected today. They hate Mom sewing. At one point Jaxi got under the sewing table and stepped on the pedal again. That necessitated a wee bit o' ripping - I'm not a turbo sewer! Time for a nice long walk to stop the grumbling around me. The sun is just starting to go down and there's a nice breeze going so those pesky skeeters shouldn't be a problem.

Happy Stitching
corina

13 comments:

Joanne said...

You sure have been busy! It looks fabulous!

Myra said...

Looks great Corina! Makes me want to do another D9-P again soon! 8-)

Impera Magna said...

Beautiful... just beautiful... I so love the lime green with the black and white fabrics!

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

The results are beautiful!! Love the colors and the way you arranged them :)

Peggy said...

It's gorgeous - perfect arrangement to feature the green beautifully.

happydaysquilting said...

Great layout, I love it!

Sue Daurio said...

I usually love borders, lots of pieced borders....but I have to say this one looks great as is. I love the way you put the lighter green in the middle and worked darker toward the edges. Wonderful quilt.

Needled Mom said...

I think it is beautiful as is!!!

Anonymous said...

The layout you choose really does work. It's going to be beautiful once it's finished.

Karen said...

Wow, what a beautiful quilt! Never done a D9P before but this really inspires me to try. Love, love your fabric choices and placement. Wonderful work!

Wacky Woman said...

Hi Corina, I love the way your quilt turned out. Can't wait to see more. I notice your dogs too are on the lookout for squirrels. My Trudy is just like the dog in the movie UP.

Marilyn

tiny said...

What a beautiful quilt, an I love the colors. Now you have time for your puppies.

Karee said...

just love the DNP for its possibilities with so little effort. Laughed at your struggle on getting the right layout.
This spring I taught 18 teenagers to sew a DNP quilt. On my blog you can see the 3 graduation quilts they made. It was SOOOOO hard for me to let them do whatever layout they wanted... I wanted to get out the seam ripper at 3am for several nights in a row. Alas, I let it go. Or did I since I STILL wish I had used the seam ripper and rearranged those blocks.
http://FabricFulfillingItsDestiny.blogspot.com