Sunday, July 10, 2011

Disappearing Nine Patch

My Disappearing Nine Patch quilt top is done - maybe. I haven't decided if I'm going to add a border or not.
I think I like it just the way it is though (still okay size for a throw at 65", yet I prefer a throw to be at least 70"). I spent most of the day yesterday fooling around with the blocks. At first I just laid them out any which way and it looked way too busy. Then I tried making sure the fabrics all matched within the blocks, still wasn't right. Tried matching all the greens that lined up together and it still wasn't right.  I even tried the other layouts, still not good. Finally I just focused on the greens themselves, and arranged them from lightest and brightest in the center, radiating out towards the darkest. That was the ticket! If I would have known what direction I was going with it when I started, I would have made sure that the whites and blacks I used on the outside would have been the darkest, but I was determined not to have to make more blocks (stubborn German/Polish background).

Puppies have been neglected today. They hate Mom sewing. At one point Jaxi got under the sewing table and stepped on the pedal again. That necessitated a wee bit o' ripping - I'm not a turbo sewer! Time for a nice long walk to stop the grumbling around me. The sun is just starting to go down and there's a nice breeze going so those pesky skeeters shouldn't be a problem.

Happy Stitching
corina

13 comments:

Joanne said...

You sure have been busy! It looks fabulous!

Myra said...

Looks great Corina! Makes me want to do another D9-P again soon! 8-)

Impera_Magna said...

Beautiful... just beautiful... I so love the lime green with the black and white fabrics!

Stray Stitches said...

The results are beautiful!! Love the colors and the way you arranged them :)

Peg said...

It's gorgeous - perfect arrangement to feature the green beautifully.

happydaysquilting said...

Great layout, I love it!

Sue Daurio said...

I usually love borders, lots of pieced borders....but I have to say this one looks great as is. I love the way you put the lighter green in the middle and worked darker toward the edges. Wonderful quilt.

Needled Mom said...

I think it is beautiful as is!!!

supermom said...

The layout you choose really does work. It's going to be beautiful once it's finished.

Karen said...

Wow, what a beautiful quilt! Never done a D9P before but this really inspires me to try. Love, love your fabric choices and placement. Wonderful work!

wackywoman said...

Hi Corina, I love the way your quilt turned out. Can't wait to see more. I notice your dogs too are on the lookout for squirrels. My Trudy is just like the dog in the movie UP.

Marilyn

tiny said...

What a beautiful quilt, an I love the colors. Now you have time for your puppies.

I am Just One Mom said...

just love the DNP for its possibilities with so little effort. Laughed at your struggle on getting the right layout.
This spring I taught 18 teenagers to sew a DNP quilt. On my blog you can see the 3 graduation quilts they made. It was SOOOOO hard for me to let them do whatever layout they wanted... I wanted to get out the seam ripper at 3am for several nights in a row. Alas, I let it go. Or did I since I STILL wish I had used the seam ripper and rearranged those blocks.
http://FabricFulfillingItsDestiny.blogspot.com