Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Jelly Roll 1600 Expanded

 I came across the Jelly Roll 1600 and decided it would be perfect for the backing of my Disappearing Nine Patch. If you're not familiar with the Jelly Roll 1600, it is a quilt race that uses 1 jelly roll to make a top that is 48x64. You mix up the fabric strips in the jelly roll and sew them together in one long 1600" strip,. Then you cut off the first 18 inches and  take the beginning and end of the strip and sew them right sides together. At the end of the seam you have to snip the strip where you folded it onto itself. Then you repeat the process for a total of 5 rounds  (you start with 1600", then to 800", 400", 200", 100" and finally 50"). The website at Heirloom Creations explains it much better than I do and includes a video of  "the race".

I didn't have a jelly roll, so I just cut up my own 2 1/2" strips.  I needed more than 1600" since it had to be 75" square. I cut 60 width of fabric strips and sewed them into a long 2400" strip (2400", 1200", 600", 300", 150", 75"). That gave me a quilt that was 75" wide  but still only 64" long. To make it longer I just sewed a few extra rows to the top .  I am toying with the idea of appliqueing a few big simple flower shapes on it. Maybe tomorrow. I would definitely use this pattern again. It comes together very quickly. Not including the time I spent cutting strips, it was sewn, ironed and trimmed in just over 3 hours. That includes a million breaks, ironing seams as I went and keeping in mind that I'm not a speedy sewer.
Joining the strips
Longest strip of fabric I've ever worked with!
 Happy Stitching!
 corina

17 comments:

Impera Magna said...

What a great idea for a quilt back! Gorgeous... and you now have a reversible quilt! Congrats!

Sandra :) said...

Hi, Corina - I saw your D9P photos on a group @ Flickr so I popped over to your blog for a closer peek - the quilt backing and front are gorgeous - it's going to be a magnficent quilt :) I really like the black + white + lime green colour combo - it's quite lovely!

Wacky Woman said...

Oh, it is going to be great!

Peggy said...

I love jelly roll 1600 - I've done 4 tops using up scraps! What a perfect backing for your BW&G - and a great way to use up the left-overs!

Anonymous said...

I just have to say that is one of the prettiest jelly roll 1600 quilts that I've seen. Great idea to use it as a backing for your D9P quilt. Together they will be stunning.

I've been wanting to do one of these jelly roll 1600 quilts, but I keep telling myself I need to get my UFO list finished first.

Totally unrelated but the word verification word is "adorn" Oh hey, maybe it's not so unrelated, maybe you should adorn the quilt back with some big flower appliques. :o)

LittleBook said...

I love this idea for jelly roll strips. I'm so going to have to do this sometime (in addition to the many other projects I have in mind).

a good yarn said...

What a terrific idea! Your backing looks amazing. Ann :-)

Myra said...

Ha!! I just read about something similar on Dolores' blog (True Blue Canadian) this morning! Posted July 14th...

Love your idea of using this as your backing for you D9-P! Will you be binding this one on Sunday? 8-)

I will have to keep this idea in mind for a backing sometime...

The Cozy Quilter said...

I love your black and white quilts, with a bit of green! How much black and white fabric is still in your stash? D9P quilts have so many possibilities! Thanks for visiting my blog!

Tammy said...

Gorgeous jelly roll 1600, it looks like it was tons of fun piecing that quilt back for your disappearing nine patch quilt. I love the wee bits of green in your black and whites. Very well done. Your dog photos make me smile.

quilthexle said...

WOW - that looks great! Congratulatons to a speedy pieced back ;-)) and I just love how you put some green into it. Lovely!

Rose Prairie Quilts and Farm said...

This so weird, I have not heard or seen this concept and now 2 times this week. I really like the idea of a back. Cool beans there.

wendy said...

Wonderful...and sounds like so much fun!

Unknown said...

Hi Corina, I bet you came over from Peg's Pieces on my Mind. She is a supper blogger friend and I am so glad to meet you also. I love the art of quilting. Have tried it but just cannot stay with it. I am not sure why. I will definitely follow your creations too. Love the black and green.
QMM

Corinnea said...

I'd not heard of this method until running across your blog. If it weren't my bedtime, I'd be trying one. Maybe tomorrow... Yours is really pretty with the yummy black, white and green combo!

Kirsten said...

Beautiful quilt back and awesome disapearing nine patch..you were really successful. Congratulations!

wendy said...

The Moody Blues is going to be absolutely gorgeous, but then again all your quilts are beautiful. Can't wait to see it finished!