Pages

Friday, September 30, 2016

piano?

It seems I've been missing for awhile! In January I discovered a new passion - piano. While shopping for a keyboard for my nephew I fell in love with the piano. Everything else has come to a grinding halt since then. So my old sewing room is now the music room.
 Now I haven't completely given up quilting. My piano teacher celebrated 40 years of music teaching today and I made her this quilt. The pattern is called Juxtaposition by Blue Underground Studios. The original patterns has the blocks oriented so that the little strips go the length of the quilt. I wanted to make this a signature quilt so changed the orientation.
 After doing a test block I found that the writing just looked messy when it was on the little strips so ended up inserting a 14" horizontal strip of light colored fabric about 1/4 of the way down the flannel back.  I used the serpentine stitch The quilting separated the signature strip into rectangles for easier signing (this was a pleasant surprise, not planned).

4 comments:

Havplenty said...

Isn't the piano great? I took classes in piano most of my time in college. I want to take lessons again to play this loved instrument.

Enjoy this journey and if the maker bug hits you... create something.

Bev said...

Great piano... your quilt looks lovely!!

---"Love" said...

My first time here, but not my last. Your piano is gorgeous; if you practice every day (like quilting), you'll be making beautiful music soon! For me, 30 minutes or more at my piano just before bed relaxes me after a day of quilting or whatever. I hope you will post blogs often! ---"Love"

Tammy said...

Piano Corina.. that is awesome... when did you start playing the piano? I took piano lessons as a child from age 8 to about 16 years. When I was 16 I discovered that boys who were not my brothers were more fun than practicing piano. After not playing for 42 years, I bought myself a digital piano in March 2016 and in July a microphone & amp. Now I'm once again playing the piano and singing to my heart's content. I love it. Yes, I had to oust a sewing machine in a cabinet for the piano. Congrats on the piano, creating music is most excellent.